Antibiotics are used for 2 purposes
- Curative purpose ( Table 1)
- Prophylactic purpose ( Table 2 )
Table 1: Protocol for curative purpose
|1. Empirical use||1st line drugs||
|2nd line drugs||
|3rd line drugs||a.3rd generation parenteral cephalosporine e.g
|4th line drugs||
|2. Definite use||Based on diagnosis along with culture sensitivity report (eg- Nitrofurantoin)|
Table 2: Protocol for prophylactic purpose
|2rd generation parenteral cephalosporin & 3rd generation parenteral cephalosporin (ceftriaxone) as prophylactic antibiotics before any interventional procedure (angiogram/ percutaneous device closure).|
- 1st line antibiotics can be prescribed by medical officer with acknowledgement of concerned specialist in-charge.
- 2nd line antibiotics can be prescribed by junior consultant with acknowledgement of concerned specialist in-charge
- 3rd& 4th line antibiotics will be prescribed by concerned specialist in-charge only.
- Fresh order of ICU should be updated daily
- Antifungal, antiviral, antiprotozoal, antimalarial, anti-tubercular are not included.